9.01.2011

I'm Getting Old

Alright, I'm not usually one to go on about the weather, but this heat is getting a bit out of control. I thought hurricanes were supposed to cool down the country, not cause a heat stroke!

I've come to a sad realization over the last couple of weeks as school has started: 

I'm getting old, people.

Yeah, yeah. I know. You're probably scrambling, trying to figure out my age so you can decide if I'm crazy. And I'll just help you out here. I'm all of 21 years old. 21 and a half, if we want to get technical.

And sadly, I'm starting to feel old. Why? Well there's a ridiculous number of possibilities.

Possibility #1: I start my day before the sun comes up, which can mean rising from anytime between 4 AM to 6 AM. Around a college town, those are the "forbidden hours." You're only awake because some demented teacher actually wants to push you to learn and grow and actually get something from your $60,000 education. Or because you took a No-Doz a little too late.

Possibility #2: My ridiculously early day doesn't start without coffee. Even today, when my apartment feels like a furnace. If I don't get my coffee (or some ample substitute, for instance, chocolate milk), then please understand why there's a permanent scowl on my face throughout the day.

Possibility #3: If we're going to be obvious here, my lungs are old and decrepit. I do believe my last lung function test described my "Lung Age" as ">84 years old." Ouch.

None of these, though, really make me feel old. I like to think these things make me "unique."

No, it's not until I went to write this blog post that I started to feel old. And then Blogger had to go and say, "Hey, do you want to try out our new interface?" And of course I was curious, so I checked it out.

My first thought?

Why the crap does all this new-fangled stuff keep coming out and all my beloved old stuff keep changing?!

The first indicator of my early-onset old age would probably have to be my unnecessary use of the word "new-fangled." But beyond that...

Seriously, I just can't keep up with everything new! 

First off, it's a new school year. New classes. New teachers. To boot, we have a new system to manage our online classes, which is much more painful as a work-study than as a student. This is followed by other new programs, like Spotify or Google Plus. Or old, reliable programs, like Facebook or Blogger, changing themselves around to look new.

And it's only the second week of school!

So, sadly, I feel myself aging. My initial reaction is frustration, because my heart longs for things to remain where they are. My mind is simply searching for a constant, something, anything that won't change in this world. And frankly, nothing can be found.

So I guess I'm already getting old. In ten or twenty years, I can't even imagine what things are going to be like. I suppose I should probably learn to let go and keep learning. But it's stinking hard.

And gosh darn it, isn't life hard enough without Facebook changing every 2 weeks?!

Question: Have you noticed this trend in your own life? Do you sometimes miss "the way things were?" How have you learned to move on? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...