10.29.2010

An Epic Life Goal: Late Night in the Phog

Alright, alright. Enough already. The clamor is too much. By popular demand, I have made time to blog for the first time in over 2 months.

Just kidding. About everything except the whole blogging thing, anyway.

The last two months have been exciting, to say the least. They have been challenging. They have been fulfilling. I want to share about a lot of it, and I even have a list made up on my desktop of things to blog about. Time to blog, on the other hand, is rare. Thus, instead of continuing to do dishes (what seems like an everyday affair nowadays), I am taking a break to tell you about one of the most exciting nights I've experienced so far this semester: Late Night in the Phog...


Here's the breakdown, in case you aren't from Kansas: I am a huge University of Kansas fan. The school practically invented college basketball, and their football team was good, sort of, for at least a couple of years, in a way, I mean... moving on.

Anyway... Every year, the basketball teams hold what is affectionately known as Late Night in the Phog, a chance for fans to come out and witness the goodness that is KU basketball to open the college basketball season. Fortunately, I was conveniently "in the neighborhood" this year and decided to go. Or, rather, we were invited to go by some friends near Kansas City that we were spending the weekend with and I dragged my in-laws, wife, and little sister there. Pick whichever story seems more plausible to you.

Though our friends claimed it wasn't as good as it had been in the past, the way I would describe the night would have to be nothing less than one word: epic.

Something needs to be understood here. I go to Manhattan Christian College. Sure, we love our sports teams, but we are no KU. Heck, we're not even KSU or WSU. It just isn't the same. And being from Wichita, there aren't many opportunities to attend live sporting events; for whatever reason, Wichita seems to ward off any hint of professional sports that might come its way.

All of that to say that it has been a very long time since I have attended a live sporting event. This one certainly didn't disappoint, even if it was just a poor excuse for a pep rally and a couple of scrimmages. I soaked in the deafening roar of the crowd as the Men's Basketball Team took the floor and duked it out, enjoying every second in Allen Fieldhouse as if it might have been my last.

As you can tell, I loved it. Words don't do it justice, and pictures don't either, but I'll post a couple, anyway. And in terms of life goals, it was an opportunity seized and, best of all, a life goal accomplished.



1 comments:

deb shirkey said...

This makes me smile..................

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...