11.05.2010

Almost a New Life Goal: Eat an Authentic Chicago-style Deep Dish Pizza

Two blog updates in a week? Craziness. Unfortunately, I woke up 45 minutes before my alarm today, so here I am with another hour and a half to kill. So let the time-killing commence...

This last Tuesday, the 2nd, was what I affectionately refer to as the monthiversary of my relationship with Kalyn. We started dating on June 2nd, 2006, and we got married on June 2nd, 2009. Thus, the 2nd of every month gives us an excuse to spend money and time we don't have on and with each other. It's a great deal, if you ask me...


This month was Kalyn's turn to plan a date. Basically, she plans something epic in the odd-numbered months, only to be let down when an even-numbered month rolls around and I get the pleasure of planning our outing. I mean, seriously, my last idea was to get some food to-go and to watch the Biggest Loser at home on a night that we had entirely too much homework. Not exactly going to Disney World, if you know what I mean.

So I found out at approximately 5 PM on Tuesday what we were doing: Kalyn had decided that we would venture out to Old Chicago, a restaurant we hadn't been to together in a couple of years. Of course, I could be wrong about that, and if I am, I'm sure Kalyn will let me know and I'll have to edit this. Moving on...

What was epic about Kalyn's date idea, though, was this: we would order a deep-dish pizza for dinner. Pizza is, by far, my favorite food that doesn't involve steak. In fact, I was craving some the very day we went out to Old Chicago. I guess my wife is a mind-reader. This doesn't surprise me in the least bit.

So, to wrap up a unnecessarily long-winded story, we went out, had a great time, and enjoyed some great pizza. And I sort of accomplished a life goal, because I sincerely desire to have some authentic Chicago-style deep-dish pizza. Unfortunately, this pizza didn't quite make the cut.

Now, it wasn't that the pizza wasn't delicious and the best dinner we could have had that night. It's just that we live in Kansas, and it's hard to get anything authentic around here besides sunflowers. So, even though the pizza was amazing and I had a great time with my mind-reading wife, I didn't quite accomplish my life goal of eating authentic Chicago-style deep dish pizza.

Don't worry, though. A day will come when, through all of my pizza-eating, I will encounter a true Chicago-style pizza. And when that day comes, this will be the first place you'll hear about it.

1 comments:

Deb Shirkey said...

Ok...so now your mother in law has a new life goal...taking my children to Giordino's in CHICAGO! I am NOT POSITIVE, but I THINK?? that Kalyn went there once with Aunt Kelly, but I am sure Tel has NEVER been there...when we lived there it was ABSOUTELY, WITHOUT A DOUBT the best pizza we have EVER had! :) So, FUN BLOG..and THANKS...NOW I Have something else to add to my list!!!!!!! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...