7.10.2010

A Random Act of Accomplishment

Tonight, as I sat down toward the beginning of shift at THOGL, I didn't expect much to happen outside of hearing a lot of babies cry. Little did I know that I would be accomplishing a life goal before the night was over...


In 1981, a game was born that would grow to be one of the biggest "time-wasters" in history: Minesweeper. If you haven't played it (I'm not sure a soul exists who hasn't), check out the Wikipedia page, or just look on your computer - it comes packaged on almost every thinkable operating system.

According to Minesweepers.org, the current world record for expert level of Minesweeper (the highest level) is 47.828 seconds. Meanwhile, the Intermediate and Beginner records are 11.738 and 3.807 seconds, respectively. 

I came nowhere close to any of these records. Quite frankly, I'm not that good at Minesweeper. I did, however, accomplish a life goal tonight by beating Minesweeper on Expert on Windows 7. I had beaten the game on older computers, but Minesweeper has changed as operating systems have progressed, getting harder with time. 

This will probably go down as one of my more meaningless goals in life, but the fact that I was able to do it brightened my night, even if it did take me 139 tries.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been playing Minesweeper on my iPod a ton over the past month... right now I am trying to beat it with more than 100 mines on the course. So far the highest I've beaten is 128.

Tanna said...

When we were in Branson I didn't have internet so I played alot of computer games (and taught myself chess =]) and when I was playing minesweeper Jessica asked what it was!! She'd never even heard of it!! Crazy, I know. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...