7.08.2010

A Goal Forever in Progress: Be(come) a Good Father

This year, June 20th passed without much fanfare in my life. I spent the day sleeping, because, by then, I had switched to the night shift with Kalyn here at The Home of God's Love (THOGL). I woke up around 5 PM, and the day progressed as usual. We didn't eat dinner, because dinner never sounds appetizing right after waking up, and we took care of babies for the remainder of the night. Later on that night, while the babies were sleeping, Kalyn and I Skype'd (is there a "proper" way to spell that?) with her family because it was June 20th - Father's Day...

In my life, having a father has always been important to me. My own father wasn't always around, and when he was, I wasn't the most enjoyable kid to spend time with. By the time I realized what I was missing out on, it was too late. It will have been 2 years since he passed away this month, and Father's Day will never be the same. I loved my dad and I miss him.


I could probably go on with the past, but it's not something I need to do. In fact, I have been blessed since then to find new father-figures in my life, people like my father-in-law and my youth pastor. I have good examples to follow, and I know that being a good father is one of the most important things I can do with my life.

As I am here at THOGL, I have learned a lot of tricks to keep babies happy. I have learned to care for multiple kids at once, knowing that I'll be fine if we ever have quadruplets.



Thankfully, though, what I have really learned has nothing do with how to feed 2 babies at once and has very little to do with how to change a diaper (something I had never done before coming to the orphanage). What I have learned (and keep on learning) about being a good father here at THOGL is that I need to love, and then keep on loving. And then love some more. And when I run out of love, ask God to share His, because I can never stop loving if I want to be a good father.

Honestly, my dad didn't teach me a lot while he was here. However, he did teach me about passion. About giving all you can. And when I love these babies (and someday love my own children), I want to passionately love them. I want to give all that I have for them, even when I can't give anymore.

And that is why one of my life goals is to become and be a good father - to my children and anyone else who needs it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...