7.14.2010

More than Just a Life Goal: Visit a Buddhist Temple

A few nights ago, as we were taking care of the babies, Kalyn and I talked about how we were getting cabin fever from not being anywhere outside of THOGL or our apartment here in Taiwan. We were a little frustrated and not sure what to do because, well, we work at night. There aren't a lot of places open around midnight here, we can't just abandon the babies, and let's be honest - nobody wants to pick up a night shift and then work again the next day. We figured out a solution to our "sickness", though. We decided to visit the Buddhist temple that hovers over the lake on the way home in the morning (after our shift was over)...



The temple is beautiful and you can't miss it if you are in the area. However, if you want to see the place up close and personal, you have to be pretty determined - it's a pretty long and steep hike (if you don't have a car).

Personally, I really like to learn about religions that differ from my own, so being in a country that is 35.1% Buddhist and 35% Taoist (while a mere 2.6% Protestant and 1.3% Catholic) lends itself toward such an endeavor. I figured that visiting a temple would really help me understand a little more about the religious practices here, as well as back in the U.S., where 5-6 million Buddhists live.

While we were in the temple, I felt pretty awkward. I was very out of place and the people there knew it. It was hopeless to try to communicate with anyone (our Chinese is what you would call "basically non-existant"), which was unfortunate - I would have liked to understand what was going on a little more. However, here is what I did observe:
  • A man worshiping before an idol. The man burned incense, bowed, and then proceeded to drop to his knees, bow some more, and recite chants/prayers that I couldn't understand.
  • A group of people who walked together with their large incense burning, very reverential and purposeful in their walking.
  • A general silence about the place. Every once in a while I would see people having a conversation, but for the most part, there was a reverent silence.
  • The temple had a wash station, vending machines, and other things I didn't expect. It would definitely encourage someone to remain there as long as possible - ideally worshiping your entire life as someone who works in the temple.
I still am not sure what to think of my visit to the temple, but I do know that it was interesting, and in a sense, cool. I think that God really wanted me to see these people as they worshiped, knowing that he desired such a devotion from my own life. I found it hard to pass judgment on the people I saw. Instead, I felt a desire to share with them of the love and peace I know from God. I ached for them as they worked so hard to please their gods.

Here are a few pictures of the temple and what went on while we were there. I achieved a life goal by visiting this temple, which is great, but I have definitely been changed by my experience there.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...