4.13.2011

Indiana: The home of invisible towns, Starbucks, and the Colts

I'm not gonna lie. I had to e-mail myself a copy of our Spring Break itinerary from Kalyn's computer to help me with this blog post...

When we last left off on this ridiculous trip, we were in Wakarusa, Indiana, spending time with some of Kalyn's family. Check out the previous post if you missed it to get filled in on Waka-Waka Land (as I affectionately refer to it).

We had a great time with Kalyn's family and their hospitality was amazing. Hopefully we'll get to see them again soon. However, we did eventually have to leave. We had a lot of people to see, and unfortunately, Spring Break was only a week long. Our next stop?

Wabash/Somerset/La Fontaine, IN. 

And I thought Wakarusa was small...

W/S/LF, Indiana is, well... Let's just say you're not going to find it if you look for it. Literally. Even in the 21st century, some towns aren't "on the map." If you check it out on Google Maps, you'll actually be able to find Wabash, and if you're lucky, you'll find La Fontaine, too. Somerset, though? Non-existent. 

And therein lies our problem. The next family we were supposed to visit claimed to live in Somerset. I'm still not sure if the town exists, and I've been there! I mean, I really would've taken a picture of it, but what's the use in photographing an invisible town?

Eventually, though, we figured out how to trick Google Maps into giving us directions to this invisible town. We actually missed it the first time we drove through. No joke. However, we eventually made it there, and the people we saw more than made up for the invisible town that they live in...

The home we visited was that of the Henderson family. We met them in Taiwan when they came to pick up their son, Blake, who we took care of for a large chunk of the summer. They had already adopted once from The Home of God's Love - a beautiful girl named Avery. Avery and Blake love all over each other and their parents do everything they can to show God's love to their wonderful children.

This is what I would call a "Blake-face."
We spent a few hours with the Hendersons, talking, and (of course) playing with the kids. They were beyond hospitable as they served us a delicious lunch and desert. I'd love to tell you about what we ate, but it's been too long, so suffice it to say... it was amazing! We spent a little more time talking and playing, and eventually we had to go - a lot sooner than we wanted to. We still had two more stops before the day would be over!

After reluctantly leaving the Hendersons, we headed to our next stop: Marion, Indiana. At least I think that's where we ended up going. I'm sure Kalyn or Kelsey will let me know if I'm mistaken. We were headed there to meet up with a couple of Kalyn's best friends, Ashley and Haley, and Haley's fiancee, Shay. 

We ultimately decided to meet up at a Starbucks, because we figured it would be easier to find than Somerset, and it most certainly was. We drank coffee/tea for a couple of hours, the girls talked, and Shay and I just listened. But I guess that's what we're there for, right? 

Meanwhile, the weather was taking a turn for the worse as we sat outside sipping our drinks. By the time we were done, I was shivering and craving more coffee, so I bolted to the car before I could give more money to the beast that is Starbucks. Seriously, though, we had a great time with everyone and I was glad we stopped to see them.

Indianapolis: Home of the Colts!
Finally, our last stop was downtown Indianapolis. Now this was a place I had heard of. And thankfully, we arrived without any major storms destroying us on the way. We stayed the night with Kelsey's sister, Tracy, who lives in a house that the church that she works for owns next door to the church. It was very cool to see because the house was used for whoever needed it and it was almost like a hotel, except free. It was a great ministry tool that more churches should definitely look into.

Since we were in Indianapolis, we decided we would spend some time downtown, sort of "sight-seeing," although by the time we got out, it was dark and rather hard to see. That didn't make it any less beautiful, though. 

Indianapolis has a gorgeous downtown that is worth driving to see if you're ever in the area. We walked around for about 45 minutes, and I would love to tell you that I took a million pictures, but I wasn't feeling well, so I didn't take my camera. I definitely regret that move. However, I'm glad I got to spend some time taking in the sights and sounds of Indy. It's a great city and definitely one I would like to live in sometime in the future.

We spent the rest of the night hanging out with Tracy and had a great time. I played Bananagrams for the first time, and then we played Golf, the card game. After all of this, we (and by "we," I mean "I") were pooped out from the crazy day, so we hit the sack, excited for what the next day would bring.

Have you ever been to an invisible town? How about a downtown that you dream of living in? Let me hear about it! Comment, share, and subscribe to your heart's content! And check back soon for more Spring Break adventures!

1 comments:

Deb Shirkey said...

I am so hoping WE get to take a road trip this summer, as a family, so then YOU can blog about it! THIS IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am working on a plan to make it happen! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...