8.02.2011

A Simple Way to Better Yourself Right Now

Alright, my fellow Bucketeers! We have another wonderful guest post this week! Today I'm featuring Seth from Life as Experienced, and I'm really excited about what he has to say! Leave him a wonderful comment or 2 (or 3!) and check out his blog. Dooooo it!

A Simple Way to Better Yourself Right Now


Normally I set a list of goals each year.  I’m one of those guys who loves checking stuff off his to-do list each day, and even my big “To Do In (insert year)” list.  Every year there is one item that always seems to make it onto my annual list, and I’ve become more and more confident that it belongs on everyone’s list.  The item that holds my number 1 spot year after year is… “Read.”  The longer I live, (which hasn’t been too long thus far) the more convinced I am that reading is the easiest way to consistently better yourself.

Through books we have the chance to learn from some of the smartest people: both living and dead.  I can sit down with a cup of coffee and hear from C. S. Lewis or St. Augustine, John Grisham or Shakespeare.  I have the chance to read stories from master storytellers who have been around much longer than television.  I can listen to theological or philosophical arguments from individuals who are way more intelligent than I am. 

Me: Why is there pain and suffering?
C.S. Lewis: “The Problem of Pain”
Me: Tell me about how you experienced God.
St. Augustine: “Confessions of St. Augustine”
Me: Tell me a story
John Grisham: “The Rainmaker”
Me: What about a love story?
Shakespeare: “Romeo and Juliet”

See what I mean?  I can consult leading experts on everything from how to install a toilet to how to build a strong marriage (I’ve read books on both of those things).  Reading can challenge, entertain, encourage, mentor, manipulate, humor, enlighten, or anything else.

If I told you I knew a foolproof way to better yourself, you’d probably be interested, right?  Most people would without a doubt.  Yet I know way too many people who claim they don’t have time to read; they don’t have the patience for reading, or who just aren’t interested in literature.  Self-improvement always takes some work:  exercise, loving others, public speaking, sports, etc.  Take some time today to find a good book and start reading.  If you don’t start now, you’re just putting off improving yourself.

What are you reading right now?  What book would you recommend I read?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...